We’ve discussed with Peter to tackle environmental and citizen science project today, following up plan for our final project coming in a few weeks.
Our main concern about ‘plastic waste’
what do you know about recycle materials? Is information clear? Is the process clear? It is not clear due to political, and economy reasons.
Our first idea here will be bottom up recycle materials activity by citizens. ‘Recycle by yourself not companies’.
– unclear use of recycle materials
– a lack of awareness (subconscious mind that they are not from this country, lack of emotion about the city)
– busy life style vs slow life
– political reasons companies of waste do not intend to make it better as it’s a Chinese company who have 40% of natural resources industry of the world.
recycle plastic machine:
– how we access to the machine to recycle the materials
– can we get a help from the company selling machines?
– can we get a fund from the companies?
– how public access to the machine?
So far, I’ve found a bit bigger recycle machines, not handy. Also, NYC is keen on recycling and they set up the world’s largest recycling plant in Brooklyn in this summer.
Mayor Bloomberg Announces Start Of Expanded Recycling Program To Include All Rigid Plastics For The First Time: http://www1.nyc.gov/office-of-the-mayor/news/145-13/mayor-bloomberg-start-expanded-recycling-program-include-all-rigid-plastics-the#/0
What plastics can be recycled in NYC: http://www.nyc.gov/html/nycwasteless/html/resources/plastics_nycrecycles.shtml
The website of the vendor of recycle materials in NYC: http://www.simsmunicipal.com
An example of recycling plastics with designing: http://www.dezeen.com/2013/10/21/precious-plastic-open-source-local-recycling-workshop-dave-hakkens/